26 September 2005

So ridiculous

When to see the doctor at 1PM. Went early so that I can register (since it was my first time). Didn't get to see the doctor until 1:30PM (even though I had an appointment, so much like Sg where an appointment doesn't mean shit). Then got to see the doctor for 2 mins. What a bloody waste if my time! He didn't do anything but tell me what I already knew ("this happened because some of your muscle fibres... blah, blah") and told me to go the chemist (Sg's equivalent of pharmacist) and get some pain killers that had muscle relaxant in it, an on the shelf drug! If I know that was all, I would have just to the chemist in the morning and not suffer until 1:30PM with the pain. So ridiculous.

I found out from one of my colleague that the medical here in Au is not totally free. Their 'medi-care' thingy is free only for certain things. First off, medical here is NOT free. If you visit the doctor and want it to be free, you'll have to visit a gahmen one and if my visit to the doctor is anything to go by, it would be a long wait. If you go private, you'll be able to 'claim' a percentage of what you paid. Hospitalisation is also 'claimable'. Ambulance service is expensive unless you take up an insurance. If you go to the A&E, you have to pay for it, in full. No claiming.

Gosh, you pay so much in taxes and realise in the end, the medical is not free or even well subsidised. You have to pay for all drugs that you get even if the doctor prescribed it. So even (like me) you can get the doctor's consultation for free, you'll still have to pay for the medication. You'll still have to go to the chemist to get it. From what I can tell the only people that benefit from the high taxes, through welfare, are the young, able bodied people who are too lazy to work.

I really pray that nothing will happen to me during my stay here. I really don't fancy having to pay for my medical bills.

No comments: