30 June 2006

STDs

Was watching TV the other day and they were talking about herpes. An incurable sexually transmitted disease and I realised that I couldn't remember any other except for HIV. So I went to Gay Health to check it up and realised that I REALLY have forgotten a number of STDs.

There are a lot of things that you can catch by having sex with someone. Talk about high risk activity. It seems people (both LG and heterosexuals) seem to forget about the other STDs except HIV. HIV has so much 'air-time' in the media all around the world that the other STDs have been almost forgotten.

I find it really scary that there are STDs out there that you can contact just via touch, it is more scary than getting HIV. So any sexual encounter, even if just touching, can transmit some of the STDs, I do believe that herpes is one of them. And herpes in incurable, you live with it for life. Imagine having the fear that you'll pass it to your partner every time you want to get intimate and intimate in this context is not only about sex, even hugging or kissing might be dangerous.

That is why I wonder if the people (heterosexual or gay) know that there are other diseases you can get via causal contact besides HIV and for some of these STDs, condoms is not a barrier. Hopfully they do and are taking all precautions.

This might be a reason why I'm a one man's man. :P

No comments: