08 July 2006

Work and bosses

Isn't it interesting when your boss insist that his method of doing something (solving a problem) is right and that you should just follow it. It is doubly interesting when he isn't trained in that field and you are. It is extremely interesting when you have 8 years of experience in doing that thing (solving that problem) and he has none and yet he still insist he is right.

Well that happened to me yesterday. Twice. It was really odd because he doesn't know how it worked, which in turn means he didn't know the simplest solution. He wanted to start the whole process from scratch but I knew there was a simpler way and I did it my way (queue in Frank Sinatra's "I did it my way"). Later when he asked if I started the process, I told him there was a way to fix the problem without starting from scratch. He didn't believe me until I showed him a simple. Even then he wasn't really convinced. Anyhow, the fix was finished in a fraction of the time and I showed it to him. No words came out. Nice to make your boss speechless isn't it. ;)

No comments: