12 July 2006

Singapore Minister's Pay

I just realised today that the lowest ranking minister in Singapore is paid SGD100k+ per month. Gosh, this is more than what 80% of the Singapore population earns in 1 year!

I couldn’t believe it and I was so pissed and so fed up. Pissed because I used to be a person that agreed that ministers should be paid well. I was stupid and not realising how stupid I was. I used to tell others that in Sg at least the ministers get there pay and that is it, there are no perks, whereas in Australia and in fact many developed countries the ministers get perks. I used to argue that with the salaries that these ministers get and also their perks, it would be more that what our ministers are getting in the end. It was so convincing!

The Australia PM earns USD137k a year.
The UK PM earns USD170k a year.
The US president earns USD200k a year.

Source: Asian Wall Street Journal July 10 2000

Think about it, even with their perks, these ministers can never hit the SGD100k per month! It is so ridiculous. Now I have really taken off my rose-coloured glasses.

I was a fool and never anymore. I will research and find things out before I open my big mouth.

P.S. I’m not sure if our ministers get any perks, so don’t quote me.

No comments: